This is a staple in my recipe box. Greek yogurt makes the cake moist and decadent, and lemon and olive oil keep this cake from being too sweet.
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
– 1 cup sugar
– 3 extra-large eggs
– Zest of 3 lemons
– 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup IL Fiorello Eureka Lemon Co-Milled Olive Oil
– 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper if you do not have a non-stick pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- With a rubber spatula, fold the olive oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
Chef’s Note: A great topping for this cake are fresh local berries. To give the berries a little extra flavor and sheen, whisk together 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar with the juice of one lemon. Chiffonade a couple of mint leaves, and mix lemon mixture, mint, and berries in bowl. Top cake with berries right before serving.