1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup coarse polenta – Golden Pheasant is a good brand
2/3 cup almonds ground in food processor – small pieces that are recognizable are tasty – OR use toasted walnuts, pine nuts, or any combination
1/3 cup mild olive oil
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pan
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup white wine – use an oaky full bodied Chardonnay or a fragrant Riesling
1-2 tsp lemon zest or a tbsp or two of orange or lemon marmalade
Add dried currants, dried cherries, or figs dried or fresh, in small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350° F
2. Butter a 9 inch spring form pan, line the pan with parchment paper and butter and flour the paper
3. Combine the flour and baking powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor
4. Add the polenta and almonds, pulsing to combine
5. Add the olive oil, butter, and sugar
6. Pulse for about 20-30 seconds
7. Add eggs and wine, and pulse just until smooth
8. Add the optional seasonings if desired, currants, figs, lemon zest or marmalade
9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan
10. Bake for about 45-50 minutes depending on your oven
Check with a knife, if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
Then turn it out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
This cake freezes very well.