This chili is made with a combination of beef, bison, venison, and pork or boar, in equal quantities. However, it can be made with any combination of these meats, or just a single variety.
4 pounds of meat combined, cut into ¾” pieces (use a combination of meats for the best flavor)
2-4 cups cubed root veggies: potatoes, parsnips, carrots, rutabagas
Il Fiorello Athena’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 teaspoons chili powder, adjust to taste
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes, including liquid
2 15 oz cans red kidney beans, drained
2 15 oz cans cannellini beans, drained
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 onion, chopped
1-2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an open casserole dish or on baking sheet, coat root vegetables with 1 tablespoon of Athena’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Sprinkle oil-coated vegetables with salt & pepper.
- Place veggies in the oven, and roast them until tender and sweet, approximately 25-35 minutes, stirring once.
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of Athena’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium heat.
- Working in batches, sear the meat on all sides, and remove from the pan.
- Add additional Olive Oil if needed, and sauté the chopped onion in the same pan.
- Add the chili powder, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and chicken stock. Add the seared meat back to the pan along with any juices.
- Bring the contents of the pan to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover the pan, and simmer 1-2 hours on the stove top, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender.
- Add roasted veggies into the pot, and bring the chili soup back to a simmer.
- Add chicken stock to adjust the consistency of the soup to your preference.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Rough chop green onions and grate the cheese.
- Drizzle the soup with Il Fiorello Athena’s Blend Olive Oil, and serve hot with grated cheese and green onions on top.