Yield: approximately 1 to 1½ Gallons
10 large yellow tomatoes, cut into halves
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 jalapeno, stem removed and chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon salt
Juice and zest of 1 orange
½ cup dry sherry or white wine
1 Teaspoon ground cumin
6 cups chicken stock or water
- In a baking dish, coat the tomatoes with the garlic, 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil and 1 Teaspoon of salt. Roast them at 450°F for 40-45 minutes until they begin to caramelize on top.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the onions and jalapeños until soft.
- Add the orange juice and zest, sherry, cumin and remaining salt.
- Bring to a boil, add the chicken stock or water, and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Using a blender, puree the soup base. This soup is equally delicious smooth or chunky…make it the way you like it!
- Strain or leave it chunky, and chill before adding the vegetable garnish.
- Re-season after chilling by adjusting salt, and adding lime juice to taste.
OPTIONAL VEGETABLE GARNISHES
1 red bell pepper, diced small
2 jalapenos, seeds removed, diced small
1 cup red tomatoes, diced small
1 yellow bell pepper, diced small
2 cups cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced small
1 bunch green onions, diced small
½ Teaspoon chopped mint
2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 Teaspoon orange zest
1/3 cup lime juice
½ Teaspoon salt
AVOCADO-LIME CRÈME FRAICHE
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbs buttermilk
1 lime, zested and juiced
Mix whipping cream and buttermilk in a glass jar, cover and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours until thickened.
Using a food processor mix in avocado and lime.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 10 days