This is a staple in my recipe box. Greek yogurt makes the cake moist and decadent, and lemon and olive oil keep this cake from being too sweet. This is a perfect summer cake, topped with berries for a festive Fourth of July.
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 cup plain greek yogurt
– 1 cup sugar
– 3 extra-large eggs
– Zest of 3 lemons
– 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup Olive oil
– 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
· Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper if you do not have a non stick pan.
· Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
· In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla.
· Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
· With a rubber spatula, fold the olive oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
· Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
· When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
A great topping for this cake are fresh local berries. To give the berries a little extra flavor and sheen, whisk together 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar with the juice of one lemon. Chiffonade a couple of mint leaves, and mix lemon mixture, mint, and berries in bowl. Top cake with berries right before serving.